Full-Time 35-40 hours per week
Starting salary $45,000/year
Resumes can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Valid drivers license required
Who We Are: Food is the foundation of good health. Access to fresh, whole, nutrient dense food should be a given for everyone. Unfortunately, for hundreds of thousands of Chicagoland residents it is nearly impossible to find affordable healthy food in their communities. Forty Acres Fresh Market is a grocery startup with the mission to increase access to fresh food in underserved communities while revitalizing neighborhood economies. Launched in 2018, Forty Acres Fresh Market currently operates as a mobile produce vendor through pop up produce markets, fruit and vegetable stands, and residential and commercial delivery service on Chicago’s westside, with a focus on the Austin neighborhood. Forty Acres is currently in a rapid growth phase as we expand our operations with the goal of opening a permanent brick and mortar store in Austin in 2023.
Who You Are: Do you want to be part of building a business that is a catalyst for community change? Do you believe that everyone should be able to get affordable fresh food in their neighborhood? Are you interested in rebuilding neighborhoods that have endured years of divestment? If so then this is the company for you.
The Job: Forty Acres has partnered with the city of Chicago’s Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events for the Austin City Town Hall Market. The goal is to leverage the City Market program to incubate an independent farmers market for the Austin community. We are seeking an individual who can deliver impact and growth.
Seeking Market Manager for on-site farmers‘ market operations at the Austin Town Hall City Market. Market Manager duties start now with vendor curating, recruitment and training, contributing to marketing plan and implementation, developing special event plans and coordinating social media and maintaining records. Market season launches in June!
You will be employed by Forty Acres Fresh Market, with training and support from professional farmers market consultants. You’ll operate the market as part of a small team.
This is a year-round, full time position, 35 to 40 hours per week. Expect one long day per week on site for market set up, management and break down. Additional days will include visiting markets and farms for recruitment, and office work remote or at Forty Acres offices.
As a successful applicant you will have an interest in real food, farmers’ markets, community outreach, restaurants, event management, and urban neighborhoods. You’ll take attendance seriously since markets are open rain or shine. You’ll work well You’ll have a reliable transportation plan and be able to stay cool under pressure - market set up can be a bit hectic.
COMPENSATION: This is a 35-40 hour position and includes holidays, sick pay and PTO. Salary starts at $45,000 (paid annually), depending on relevant experience.
TO APPLY: Read the entire job description below. Email a resume and include a cover letter in the email that includes your schedule and start date availability and why you would be a great fit to: email@example.com
SCHEDULE Availability Required:
Thursdays 10:30 am to 7:30 pm on site at market. Additional hours are somewhat flexible, a schedule will be established to meet the needs of the manager and the market.
ON SITE DUTIES
• Support farmers, vendors and customers from market set up through breakdowns to ensure a safe, successful weekly event, rain or shine.
• Lift and carry tables, pop up tent, and barricades – must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. Experience putting up a tent means bonus points!
• Direct farmers and vendors during set up and throughout the market, answering questions and maintaining site and market rules and local regulations.
• Observe traffic safety procedures to keep attendees and vehicles separate.
• Answer questions and provide information for farmers, vendors, shoppers and occasional inspectors during the markets.
• Provide excellent customer relations, collect email addresses and sell merchandise at market Welcome Booths.
• Coordinate and assist with special events and complete other tasks as needed
OFF SITE DUTIES (remote)
• Recruit and train new farmers and vendors with support from market development team
• Invoice farmers and vendors accurately and promptly every week
• Distribute flyers and posters, and attend local events periodically to promote the farmers market
HAVE SOME OR ALL OF THESE TALENTS? WE’RE LOOKING FOR YOU!
• A strong interest in food, events and community is required; experience related to any of those fields is preferred. Retail and restaurant experience is typically valuable.
• Good verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to relate to a diverse group of people, from farmers, vendors and booth staff to shoppers, sponsors, neighborhood residents and inspectors.
• Accurate and honest cash management.
• Bonus points for marketing experience including Mailchimp or other newsletter platform and social media.
Forty Acres Fresh Market is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.